The conference starts
and finishes on
Pōwhiri, tikanga and pūrākau, 4:00pm – 6:00pm (Everlyne, Tiraumaera)
• Dinner, 6:00pm – 7:00pm
Pūkaha has amazing facilities for large groups and the self catering facilities are no exception. Use this opportunity to discover what is possible when you return with your ākonga (included in the cost).
– After dinner kōrero, Te Whare Taiao o Manukura, education and mahi at Pūkaha
– Night session (Kelly, Taylor and Ruud)
– Using the moth and bat detector equipment, making sugar syrup for the following night
ON SITE: 9 to 1pm
The following is a taste of what the centre offers
– Standard guided tour, sharing knowledge about the ngahere and local history, insight into what we do for school groups.
– Tracking and trapping – chew cards, ink cards and trapline
– A session on manu – Kelly
– A session on invertebrates – Ruud
– A foraging session – Mike
All conferences should build in space for some self selected chill time! The wairarapa is a great place to unwind – and since you have been doing nightime PLD, you have several guilt free options eg Wineries, CBD, Martinborough etc
Space Girl and Man from Mars! duo will create a space experience
This half day workshop can be a ‘stand alone’ or seaminglessly follow on from Mike’s session in the morning.
From botanical ice cream to hydrosol sorbet, Mike will show you how to really make the most of your foraging …
In the workshop Mike will show you how after foraging for native spices, you can make a “magic potion” using for example, Douglas fir tips, rimu tips, lemon balm, and sour apples.
Similarly Mike will share his techniques to make an ice cream that is unique to the surroundings around your school!
Hari and Sam – Space 2
Guided night walk, explaining and looking for critters in the ngahere (Kelly, Taylor, Ruud,
Hari and Sam
Dawn session – 6:30am – 8:00am
– a dawn walk up the loop track
– a session at the whare.
We aim to provide the opportunity for an early departure, but will also have lots going on for those wanting to squeese even more out of this amazing space… including collecting and analysing our chew and ink cards!